Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Consume: Screen Capture

So after all the interviewing last week I realized that I had not posted that many Digital Literacy Labs, but through the process of posting on my blogs and other things I had actually learned a lot more than I originally thought I would. Here I will talk about how I learned to screen capture and then share how you can do it too! I had first learned this when I wanted to put up a screen shot for Yugma, and it took me all of five seconds!



First, I should probably mention that I am using Windows XP, and I'm not sure how it works on other operating systems.

Steps:
1. Pull up the screen you would like to take a picture of.
2. Push and hold "ctrl" and "prt sc" or "print screen".
3. Open up Paint.
4. Go to Edit, Paste (or "ctrl" +"v").
5. Badabing badaboom! There is your screen! Now you can edit as you like.

This is wiki page I used to learn, and they have a couple of other operating systems on it.

Now to connect this useful tool to the class. Aside from using screen capture to post pictures of other labs that I have done, such as Yugma and Evernote, screen capture can also relate to some to the Digital Culture Principles. Obviously, such a tool comes up all of the time in the blogoshpere and among bloggers, but more than that screen capture allows people to collaborate over time on a project from a distance, which falls under social networking and other concepts. Tools such as Yugma and Skype that can allow people to communicate instantly are great, and they can even share screens so that both, or more, people can be looking at the same picture. However, for a group, or two, of people working on a pet project, one that they are doing over time, allows one member to share with the others his ideas through the medium of a picture of his screen. Dead useful for things that are hard to describe in words, like the shape to an ammonium ion.

No comments:

Post a Comment