Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bazaar Remix: The summation of everything I've learned

Home Page for CatB Remix
For most classes as they conclude students take all of the information they have learned and spill it out onto a piece of paper in a series of A,B,C,D,None and occasional short responses.

This class has, naturally, taken a different, and in my opinion more fulfilling, route. We are sharing what we have learned in a series of presentations of various projects. Go here for a complete list of projects and more information on the night.

Not only is this event exciting for attendees because of what they can learn but this event excites us for the exact same reason. It is the ultimate showcase of the efforts of two of the most amazing professors on BYU's campus. Their students taking what they have learned and sharing with others, the ultimate goal of the entire class.



For me personally this project is important because it allows me to apply what I have learned to a real life situation, the ultimate joy. Through this class I have learned a variety of digital "tools" that allow anyone to create and share content online. (Backpack 2.0 nicely showcases some of these.) For this project I used one of those, Wordle to remix The Cathedral and the Bazaar:

I was also able to use some knowledge that I had gained in my major field, Mechanical Engineering, and apply it to this project. Namely through the Google Sketch-Up drawing. Sketch-Up is an easy and free way to throw up ideas for project designs fairly quickly. Sketch-Up is great for those that are big dreamers and would like to at least see their ideas in reality. Think of it as a Second Life for designers. Although one group will share, how maybe we should reevaluate how much time we spend in our own "realities".



Anyways here is my 3D take on difference on the Cathedral and the Bazaar.

The Cathedral and the Bazaar: "

3D model by Erin



How do you see the differences? And do you realize the impact this idea has on the world? It truly applies to more than just the computer science nerds in their mother's basement writing codes for awesome programs. But what can we do if we harness the power of the people?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's so cool that you've been able to draw upon tools used in your major to help you remix this text and help us think about its concepts. The images do simplify things. I want to learn Google Sketchup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that is awesome to be able to draw from knowledge and tools used in other disciplines. I love that this class has taught me that and I hope to be able to use it in the future. Good luck with Sketchup!

    ReplyDelete