Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Testing

At about a quarter of the way into this semester it has suddenly become testing season. I've taken 3 tests out of 5 classes that I will eventually take tests in. All I really have to say on this subject is that I loathe tests, taking them, and the testing center. If you choose to stop reading now, I forgive you, the rest of this is mostly just me ranting, and not the sort of rant that will end up in the Daily Universe.

Tests in general...are stupid.

I feel that this is especially true as an engineer/scientist. My physics teacher likes to point out that physics tests save lives, by keeping stupid people out of medical school. But for the rest of us scientific types I feel that test taking is stupid. Or at least we should be able to take tests in groups of three or smaller. After all if they are going to tell us that we need to learn to work as a part of a team because most of our engineering work will be done as a team why do they test us individually?

Additionally, what is with telling us to memorize all these formulas? When in real life would sit down to solve a problem or design something that could put people's lives at stake and not use your book or the internet to look up all of the pertinent information? I mean seriously, why should I attempt to memorize the integral of sec(x) to the nth power if when I need this knowledge I will have reference on hand to tell me this information. I understand memorizing some formulas that I am likely to use frequently, but sec(x) to the nth, is just not one of those.

More than just formulas I'd like to know why I have to memorize passages, and other sets of words as they were written the first time. For example, memorizing the purposes of the Book of Mormon. Why do I have to remember them as written? If I can capture their essence in slightly different words, as I would say it, what is the harm? After all the purpose of this exercise is to know what the meaning is. If the words do not change the meaning how is this bad?

And finally, everyone's favorite place, the testing center. It is my vote that tests be given in smaller, less intimidating rooms. It is also my vote that we be allowed to listen to our own music while there. Because other wise the choices are classical music, or the sneezing, hacking, and coughing of the hundred other students taking tests at the same time. That's pretty much all I have to say about that. 

2 comments:

  1. hahaha...YUP. I hadn't thought of it from the enginering side. I just remember thinking as a student..imagine a psychologist who can't listen, stinks at empathy and is down right rude, isn't insightful or helpful...but is fabulous with multiple choice testing. Doesn't really work now does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! No more tests! Imagine anyone who is only good at test taking! There is no job that pays you to take tests of this sort daily.

    ReplyDelete