Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Religion: a Paper

It would appear that all I know how to blog about is up coming papers I have to write! Well that's alright because this is now a certifiably critical portion of my writing process. So what's the topic of this term's paper? I don't know! The basic prompt is to research and write on "a topic about which you want to be clear concerning the LDS position".  What that topic will be for me remains to be seen! (Any ideas???) For your entertainment the rest of the 2 pages of assignment go something like this....

Find at least two statements from Church presidents or statements from the combined First Presidency as the foundational sources for your topic/issue. You must use at least two different sources, but you may quote the same prophet. (So basically I can't use the same talk....but every other well researched paper does that!) 

Up coming is my favorite part. I just love learning new styles to write in. Plus it makes me feel like a responsible  person who knows what they are doing in writing and researching a paper. Your paper should have five parts clearly labeled with section headings:

First, a TITLE PAGE that includea the title written as "The position of the Church on ___", your name, course, section and date. 

Second, a "Conclusion/Summary" that identifies the position of the church on this issue. 
  1. use/synthesize the 2 statements to make your case/present your findings/draw a conclusion. 
  2. Summary of what you have learned.
  3. focus on the statements of the presidents refelcting an understanding of the full spectrum of General Authority quotes (you can make references, but do not quote them, this is a summary). 
  4. your paper must include the two quotes, making sure your references/citations are accurate and clear. 
  5. this part should be at least two full pages, double spaced, and must be concise, tightly integrating what you have learned.
  6. Your conclusion/first sentence should begin with the words: "From the attached research, I find the position of the Church on the issue of ____to be:"
First of all, "conclusion/summary" I find that to be an oxymoron/contradiction. Which is it? Would you like to know what I have concluded from the research or a basic overview of what my research has told me? Will someone please tell me what this section is supposed to be about????

Third, after prayerfully considering the issue, write your "Personal Insights" and express:
  1. how you feel about it
  2. OR why it is important
  3. OR share experiences you feel appropriate
  4. OR relevant
  5. OR contextualize the topic
two pages 

This goes into the pile of things to consider when choosing a topic. Why did I choose this topic?

Fourth, "Research" 
  1. This is where you list (???) all the statements related to your topic found from all church authorities.
  2. 1-2 pages single spaced
  3. Organized in some way that is meaningful to you
Fifth, "Attached Quote"
  1. This is where you copy, highlight, and attach one quote.
What is the point of these two last sections???

Yep this is the paper I have to write in the next couple of weeks. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have a 10 page scientific research paper. Then at least I wouldn't have to worry about understanding the prompt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment