Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Study Abroad Peru 2013: April 27: Day 1 (SLC to LIM)

Day One: Travel day! 

1:00 am - Now that I am officially 20, I decide to be responsible and get some sleep.
3:00 am - Drive to the Salt Lake City International Airport. So much for sleeping.
5:30 am - Board flight to Houston
6:00 am - Flight leaves for Houston
10:00 am - Arrive in Houston

Now we have a 5 hour layover in Houston. What do we do? 
After sitting around chatting for a bit, Rydge and I set out on an adventure to find the game BANG!, with the side goal of finding the best place to eat. This story would be infinitely cooler if we had actually managed to find it. As it was we visited each of the fiver terminals in the airport, and were only left with the deep question of "why do stores IN the airport sell LUGGAGE?" We also discovered a couple of decent places to eat food for our last meal on American soil for the next fourteen days. Overall my biggest impression was it sure rains a lot here. Something tells me this might be a biased impression, but 14 days later it was also raining...

3:00 pm - Board flight to Lima, Peru. All I have to say is seven is a lot of seats to put on an airplane. 
4:30 pm - Flight leaves for Lima, Peru. Remember that rain I mentioned earlier? Yeah, it delayed our flight by about 30 minutes. It's ok, the extra time meant I got three movies in instead of two and a half. :) 
11:30 pm - Arrive in Lima, Peru. All I have to say is immigration and customs are one million fun at midnight. The bonus is we were now in PERU! Thankfully Lima is at about zero elevation and humid. Those are my two favorite conditions.

1:30 am (April 28) - Arrive at our hotel. Checking 18 people into a hotel at 1:30 am, in a different language is extremely fun...not. It is also fun when you realize that no one has a bottled water in a country where even brushing your teeth with the tap turned out to not be the best choice for pretty much every one. 

And that's where I'll leave it for now. Like I said at first, not a super interesting day but trust me, they get better. Also, sorry about the lack of pictures. Those will also be coming later. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can think of a few things to do in houston with a long layover :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back memories of our flights to Nigeria and to the Philippines....kind of pleasant to think about now, especially with plenty of both sleep and water.

    ReplyDelete