Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Study Abroad Peru 2013: May 5: Day 9 (Manchu Picchu to Puno)

The trip back to Cusco was rather adventurous. Part of the train tracks had washed out along the route
Because you needed one last picture
of me at Manchu Picchu.
back, so we transferred to a bus. The bus managed to do fairly well, until it hit a rock crossing a bridge popping out and bending one of the lower side doors that held the luggage in. This prompted a 30 or so minute wait while the driver attempted to fix it enough to drive. It also prompted a discussion among the 20 engineers in the back of the bus as to what exactly had happened, and the likelihood of the driver appreciating the help. We concluded that our help was probably the last thing the driver wanted, so we all stayed put.
After getting into Cusco we all pretty much rolled into bed, so that we could get up for church the following morning.

I've probably said this before, but I LOVE BEING A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS! Not only does the Church teach truth that makes me a better person and provides comfort, but it is a global church, meaning no matter where I am in the world I can find people who are warm, loving, and believe all of the exact same things that I do.

The Urubamba River, our companion for
 most of the train ride to/from MP.
After church we all changed into our comfy clothes and piled into a bus for the 8ish hour drive down to Puno. I've been on a few 8ish hour drives (guess how long it takes to get from Provo to my parent's house?) but this was one of my favorites by far. We all played games, laughed, chatted, and generally had a good time to make the hours move a little bit faster.

We got into Puno around dinner time so we checked ourselves in as fast as 20 people checking into their 4th hotel in 9 days have ever done and then headed out for some comida! (<-- that's food in Spanish!) About half of our group followed Dr. Lewis to his favorite pizzeria and had a grand time with some really good pizza, actually it was pretty amazing pizza compared to what I was expecting from a country not know for its pizza.  

No comments:

Post a Comment