Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

The One with Thoughts from a Pearl...daughter of a king...

Here's the second installment from my thoughts on the Pearl of Great Price...

Scripture: Moses 2:31

As with every other teenage girl to ever exist in the history of mankind I spent the majority of my teen years struggling with body image issues. The result of those years is a quote that hangs on my wall. The quote reads “I know I’m somebody ‘cause God don’t make no junk.” I have no idea who first said it, but to that person I owe a significant amount of gratitude.
I am pretty sure that I have always just known that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father. It was never anything that I needed convincing over, however, like many I have needed help understanding all of the tenants of that statement. (Hence the quote that followed me to college.) While I have many family members and friends perfectly happy to remind me all of that time that, as Abilene would say, “You is Kind, You is Smart, You is Important”; it is always nice to hear it from another source. (Reference comes from the book titled The Help, a highly recommended read.)

Recently, as I read about the creation story in Moses I was struck by a repeated phrase in several verses, the most emphatic of which is found in Chapter 2 verse 31. “…all things I made were very good”. So clearly the logic follows thus: God made me; all things God makes are good; therefore I am very good. Of course there are other conclusions that can be drawn from the fact that God created me. Facts about expectations, responsibilities, reminders of all of the things I could be doing just a little bit better. But for now, two-weeks-post-break-up-that-he-just-can-not-seem-to-grasp-actually-happened, all I need to know is that I am loved by my Heavenly Father and that I am very good, no matter what anyone else says. They do not know me like my Father does, and if He says I am good that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment