Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

The One with Thoughts from a Pearl...#yolo...

Round 5...

Scripture: Joseph Smith – Matthew 1:40 (Compare to the Bible (King James Version) Matthew 24:36)

 As I read through Joseph Smith’s translation of the Gospel of Matthew I happened across a verse that I know has played a part of many a talk on the Second Coming. But more on that later. My first thought focused on what might possibly have changed between the KJV Matthew 24:36 and JS – Matthew 1:40. So I looked it up.
Really the new translation only made a couple of changes. For example, the order of “knoweth no man” (King James Version) changed to “no one knoweth” (Joseph Smith-Matthew)and then “not the angels of heaven” (King James Version) changed to “not the angels of God in heaven” (Joseph Smith - Matthew). I did find it interesting that the preposition change in the Joseph Smith translation implies that the angels have more of a focus on God. I think that we, or maybe this is just me, hear a lot about how angels are on “heaven’s errand” or the like. When really that does not make very much sense because clearly all angels, well except for the devil’s angels, are sent to do the work of God.

I understand that most people think of those as the same thing, but still I think that it is an interesting distinction that God tells Joseph Smith to make in the new translation. Now back to the meaning of this scripture.I am fairly certain that neither of these changes alters the basic meaning of the scripture, which I always find to be “you do not get to know when the end of the world is tiny human, therefore you should live ever day like it could be the last and you have to face me tomorrow #yolo” This is probably why no one will let me write scripture, too many hashtags. But really, this scripture, and others from the depths of the Book of Mormon, often play a central role in not only talks about the Second Coming but in doing everything we can now to prepare to meet our Maker, because we do not know when the end will come. Meaning that we need to live each day like it is our last, not doing every stupid thing that comes to our mind, but living our lives in the very best way possible, perhaps the way Christ would.

No comments:

Post a Comment