Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

The One with Thoughts from a Pearl...honestly lazy...

Round 4...

Scripture: Abraham 3:17

We all have many habits and tendencies that we need to shed to become more like God. For most people these include tendencies such as less bullying, gossiping,ingratitude and others that seem to just come as part of our natural bodies. However, in the midst of listing all the things that we need to fix about ourselves, we frequently, or at least I frequently, become overwhelmed by the sheer number of attributes on the list and then accomplish little or nothing in growing more like God.
In reading Abraham I came across another attribute of God that I think we, or again maybe it is just me, leave off the list and if we put it first it might help solve a significant number of our other problems. Abraham says that, “there is nothing that the Lord thy God shall take in his heart to do but what he will do it”. Meaning, or at least I think he means “God is not lazy”. Maybe that’s just what I needed to hear today. At any rate I would put laziness on my list of things to fix about myself. I could go on a long rant right about now all about how if I would just do things right away, I would not spend all of my time doing them at the very second right before they absolutely must be done. I could also spend a lot of time justifying how I am not that lazy, after all everything gets done (mostly). But I think that the important thing here is: honesty.

Essentially when I say I am going to do something, I should do it. This is true for a variety of reasons, but at the most basic level this is true because if I decide that I am going to do something, and then do not do it, I was not really honest with myself in the first place. Sure occasionally other things come up that demand our immediate attention, but I think that more frequently we let other things come up and distract us from doing what we set out to do. Is that really how I want to live my life? Do I want to spend my life as the person who intended to follow the Gospel? Who intended to make it to the Celestial Kingdom, but just did not feel like putting in the time and effort to become a Godly person? No, not really. So I guess it is time for some change.

No comments:

Post a Comment