Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The One with Thoughts from a Pearl...Listen

Scripture: Moses 8:23

As general conference time rolls around once again I think it is interesting to hear how everyone reacts to the “holiday” weekend. The most vocal people, at least around BYU campus, are those who generally say things like “OH-MY-GOSH-IT’S-CONFERENCE-WEEKEND-AGAIN!!!!! I-CAN’T-WAIT-TO-HEAR-WHAT-ELDER-(FILL-IN-THE-BLANK)-HAS-TO-SAY!!!!” Sometimes however, if you are paying attention, you can detect a slight undercurrent of those who really just wish that the brethren would come up with some new material.
I can imagine that this is how a majority of the people in Noah’s time felt. Moses 8 records that on at least three separate occasions Noah went out among the people and called them to repentance, to which they all responded with death threats/attempts (naturally).
Photo Credit: lds.org
During just my short life time there have been more than three occasions when the general authorities during conference have called the church to repentance and exhorted them to become better people. For the most part those listening to conference do not respond with death threats, but are we responding by spiritually killing ourselves? Do we think “Oh, I’ve heard this before and I am doing the best I can, so will they please talk about something more achievable?” All this without actually taking the opportunity to reexamine ourselves and our lives to determine if a) we really are doing the best we can or 2) our attitude about conference can tell us anything about where we are headed in life? I think we all know all of the basic reasons that the essential truths of the doctrine are repeated to us, and we repeat them to each other, frequently. The one thing I have to say on the topic is, maybe instead of starting off with “oh, I’ve heard this before…” we think of it as something brand new. You are human, you like new and shiny things, try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment