Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Networking on the Internet...

Many of us (and certainly those reading this blog!) are familiar with the social networking sites avaliable on the internet including myspace, facebook, and even on-line dating sites, but how much of our interactions should be based solely in the internet? For example, should we "friend" people of facebook that we don't know and will never meet face to face? If you have need of humor on this subject go "online". A similar example could be found in the recent movie, Julie & Julia, where Julia develops a friendship with a woman she has never actually met. Obviously, with the internet especially, there are dangers present in anonymity, but can such relationships exist and be beneficial to all parties? I for one am not "friends" with anyone I don't already know, but I have seen the benefits of beginning a relationship online. Where do we draw the line?

2 comments:

  1. Also, I was recently surfing the "blogsphere" as I believe it is called, and found these comments on social networking: http://codecrunchers.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/social-contacts/#comment-1211

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was young, in school we had a pen pal program with another class (in China I think) for a while. It was fun. Seems to me that, that can happen online too if done appropriately.

    ReplyDelete