Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Skype and social interactions

I recently was able to develop my skills with the wonderful social networking, and phone service know as Skype. This calling system allows users to call one another via the internet and have face to face conversations. There are many applications of such a tool, including the abiltiy for military families, and others over seas from their loved ones, to communicate face to face and continue interaction on a personal level.

I have also found this to be a great tool for communicating with loved ones 8 hours away! It truly helps to keep your family close, and for everyone far from someone they'd love to see I strongly encourage this program!

4 comments:

  1. Erin! I'm a HUGE fan of skype! And I, too, just discovered it! Here's the post I just wrote about it in case you're interested: http://technologyinexile.blogspot.com/2010/09/skype.html. One of the greatest things about skype is that it is free between users anywhere in the world! My best friend is gone for 4 months in Ukraine and I miss her terribly. But! With skype, I'm working on a way to call her inexpensively or even for free!

    One interesting aspect of skype video chat is seeing people in real time as you speak to them. I am not accustomed to people seeing me as I speak on the phone with them, so it was a bit disconcerting to me. I felt like I was watching a movie, but then I realized that they can see me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you and talk to you via skype. The thing that I noticed was the fact that you also see yourself while talking and some of the children talking to you were quite interested in watching themselves...no names here....
    I really liked the seeing you and hearing you versus just hearing on the phone. And, next time I can show you the finished quilt top with all the pieces you cut for me! Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined skype about a month ago and my only complaint is that I can't talk and video chat with more than 2 people at a time. I absolutely love skype, I can keep in touch with family and friends and actually see their faces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten I have to agree that the best part is real time video even though it is a little strange to be posing for someone who isn't actually there! Shuan I know what you mean. I discovered this when I tried to video conference with two computers here and two with my family, it was really a disappointment. I'd be interested to figure out why it is that you can't video four ways. But seeing people is the best part especially if they are growing up and you aren't there to see it!

    ReplyDelete