Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

November Reflections

As the weather turns sour we, as a class, have been asked once more to reflect on our progress as students.

Self Reflection
From Mike Chen



And as I look back upon the path I've taken to get here I can't help but smile.


The first area that concerns our amazing instructors is the historical content. In the past month or so we have covered the 19th century and most of 20th. The themes and ideas that we have explored in that time include: the Industrial Revolution, Romanticism, Democracy, Origins of Computing, Evolution, Mormonism, Modernism, Psychology, Computing and Intelligence, and Economics.

As far as learning and understanding these concepts I feel as though I have progressed more in this area than I had in the previous semester.  Probably this is due to the fact that I feel as though my knowledge of the subjects started lower than in previous areas. Romanticism, Modernism, and Economics were all topics that I enjoyed learning and I think that I learned a lot in. For example, this post shows how Romanticism went from  a topic that I knew little about to one that I could relate to much of the digital world.

The next area covered in class is the computing concepts. Tied in with these concepts are ideas from the digital culture that has sprung up around us from the internet and the advent of new media in the 21st century. Distributed Computing and Software systems, Software engineering, and Computer Theory are some of the computer concepts that we have covered, while aspects of the digital culture include the differences in traditional and digital economics.

The computing concepts have been especially interesting to learn about in this last part if the semester as well. One that stands out in my mind, especially after discussing it in class is the idea of computability. Computability being the idea that for some problems there is no way to know if you will always be able to produce a solution.

Over all in the areas of directed learning I believe that I have made off fairly well with a large amount of knowledge. Self-directed learning, however, is a whole different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment