Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Details of the Big Picture

Fact: We learn something new everyday. Learning comes as a by-product of living life. Today I had the blessing of learning just a little bit more about happiness. Today's happiness came from sources I like to call the details of the big picture. Frequently the small and simple details of life give momentary cause for happiness. Although the idea of not dwelling on the details has merit, occasionally we just need the little nudges to bounce us through the day. 
Santa Fe Plaza - Aug 2008 - 17
Happiness by Ed Yourdon

Theories on happiness generally breakdown into two categories. Emotion based on big events and emotion based on little events. Each theory has some merit. On the one hand if you live for big events, then most of life focus on those events, and the joy comes in large amounts at those times. In this case you also keep little annoying happenings at bay with an "eternal" perspective. On the other hand if you live for little events frequently you find yourself on a roller coaster of highs and lows, with every immediate event of extreme importance to happiness.

I would like to propose that a better method would be to find joy in each event as it comes, but to also remember that sometimes the little things of life can help you through. Today is my example A. Today could gone downhill really fast if I had chosen to focus on all of the little bad events, and a couple of the bigger bad events. But today got better when I found pieces of happiness in a couple of little things.

6) Physics Homework:
Ok, so this just proves how much of a nerd I am, but I found joy in the fact that for once all semester I could do all of my physics homework all by myself. That's what I get for taking statics and physics at the same time!

5) 172 Homework:
I am so thankful and happy to have not had any ME 172 homework today. I probably would have died. Literally.

4)Happy Birthday:
Walking to class around lunch time I was thinking of the enormous amount of studying that I had ahead of me when I got the best text ever.
 "Hi Erin, my calendar says today is your birthday. Happy Birthday!! I hope you're going to be doing something extra fun today to celebrate. It's been great having you in the ward. " - Bishop Andrus 
Somehow it was awesome to be wished a happy birthday 34 days early. I can not wait for Sunday to see if Relief Society thinks that I had a birthday as well.

3)Video from Josh:
I watched Josh's latest YouTube video. This managed to put a smile on my face, or at least the 5 seconds at the end where Micah chooses a worthy cause to support!


2)Lunch with Jen:
I love my roommate! I do not think that I say this enough. We had an awesome lunch together today. Not that the food was any better, the Cannon Center still fails, but that we had a great time talking and venting. I love Jen!

1)Friends with Jimmer:
I'm not sure why this is number one, probably because I'm a little sleep deprived as I write this and everything is loads funnier when you have not gotten enough sleep recently.
If you can't quite read this look below!

Bahahaha I may know Jimmer!
Do you think I should friend request him? =D

No comments:

Post a Comment