Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Learnin'

After a successful year in school, and a couple weeks break for summer, I'm back on for learning. Turns out a person can learn during summer. mind = blown

For the summer you all will get to read about the books I read for a book club, and how my ear hinders me as I try to learn the guitar. I may also take recipe ideas to try out this coming year as I experiment with cooking all of my own meals. Those will probably end up on Whine and Cheese as Call Me turns to Digiciv learning.

Let's start with the last book I read, Still Alice .



At 50, literally in the middle of her life, Alice learns she inherited early on-set Alzheimer's, and now faces rapid dimentia. The book centers around the conflict Alice and her family face as they struggle with how to help and retain the mother and spouse they know and love.

The club throughly discussed the theme of familial responsibility. What, if anything, do we owe to the people we share the most pairs of genes with? Especially if they gave us a disease that effectively ends our life at 50?

Personally I throughouly enjoyed the book, and the colorful cast of characters presented in the family. The first person narration from the patient, adds potential insight to the person least often heard from, the patient. I highly recommend the book to all looking for a n insightful summer read.

Up next for the club is Angle of Repose. Meanwhile I will also be working my way through Anna Karenina. See you on the web!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Angle of Repose - and nearly everything else by Wallace Stegner. Will be interested in hearing what you think. I have requested Still Alice from the library and am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! We'll have to get together and talk about our books!

    ReplyDelete