Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

The One with Thoughts from a Pearl...graduation...

Photo Credit: Sean MacEntee via Flickr
Scripture: Abraham 2:3

    Today I am thinking about graduation. (Ok, so most days I am thinking about graduation.) But today I applied to walk in August!!! I don’t know if it is because it is nearly March, which is nearly the end of the semester, which is nearly time to head to Peru, which is nearly time to start my internship, which (12 weeks later) means walking for graduation AND starting my LAST semester, or what, but something has me thinking about graduation. I am stoked for graduation! (Yes, I am from California, so I do get to use the word stoked.)


So at any rate here I was pondering graduation, which in turn means pondering that moment 4 years ago when I found out I was going to BYU, and then reading the second chapter of Abraham where Abraham is told to leave his people and his land for something better. And I had this moment where I related, to Abraham. I left my people and my land for something better, and that was hard. When I planned out my life, I knew I was going to college, but I hadn’t planned specifically to leave my family and California at 17 to strike out sort-of-but-not-really on my own. And after two tellings by the Lord, Abraham did almost the same sort of thing, and the Lord had that adventure all planned out. So why shouldn’t the Lord have my adventure all planned out? (Or know how it is going to unfold for me in the way that God knows everything.) I believe he does. I also believe that I can do hard things. Which means that I can go out into the world and be a successful engineer, I can go out into the world and be a successful citizen, and I can go out into the world and be a successful person. All of those things will be hard, hard at the outset, and hard until the end. But that doesn’t mean that they won’t also be (at times) awesome, exciting, exhausting, exhilarating, fun, heartbreaking, moving, pleasurable, and/or thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment