Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Education I Pay For...

I now have one semester under my belt and, according to the great US system, am a sophomore in college. But some how I don't feel like it. Perhaps one of the greatest factors is my physics class. The student body reminds me of my High School Freshman Biology class. Or maybe simply every high school freshman class since the beginning of time...



Picture this: a room full of theater style desks...
Inside the Royal
From smaku


Then quickly filled by eager BYU students...
Married Couple
From chrisstreeter
But these are not ordinary students...No they are the type of people that think they know every thing. You know those people that annoy those of us that actually do know everything. The kind that if I were teaching would spend the hour and a half in dunce caps. But perhaps for the better our teacher has more patience, and a bigger smile, than I.

On the whole I think that I'm beginning to like it. For example, today we can began chapter 2, and in the 30 minutes Prof. Bergeson was actually to teach for, we learned that velocity is the derivative of position. Profound yes?

On the other hand, I still have no idea what my statics class is about. Oh well maybe by the end of April I'll have gained the education I pay for...

14 comments:

  1. I think it's just Erin being snarky about the average BYU student's general obsession with the opposite sex and marriage. Hmmm, not sure that's a temple worthy gown Erin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the suffering those of us who know everything have to go through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun game to play in science/engineering classes at byu: sit in the very back (you can do this in all your classes. You may even be able to install mame on your laptop and classic video games during class. Or, that could be a rumor). Watch the one or two pretty girls in the class sit down. Watch the distribution of boys sit down relative to the pretty girl. My observations from a few decades ago: non-science classes, the girl is the M in your gravity equation. All the little m boys sit as close as they can. In science classes, the girl is a nucleus and the electron boys orbit around.

    Of course, since you are the pretty girl, I'm not sure if your presence will skew the observations. Maybe, you should just sit in the back and play centipede?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you on here again. I've missed your posts. My solution was to always have a good book in hand, and hope my internal alarm would buzz if something significant was said so that I could dutifully jot it down. I did sometimes envy the artists who sketched the hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this stage in college you might actually fit in the first group of students you described, but I'm sure you'll get over that. Also, if you go into classes seeking the profound you will usually find it. But if you go in expecting blah that's what you'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shellbell and Christy Parker, might I refer you to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5k4bboU4 ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Norm, the main problem with this plan is that it would involve getting to class before the bell rings...also the four girls in all of my classes tend to come in together and sit right next to one another. I think it is a saftey in numbers reflex...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristi, thanks for the advice. Although Kristi I promise that I fall in the second group. At leat when it comes to telling students and other teachers they are wrong in the middle of class to their face. Also, I am willing to admit I'm wrong if you can prove it. However, the little 3.85 on my transcript tells me the difficult part will be proving that I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandma, maybe this is what I should be doing in class? I feel it is a slight increase in productivity than the people who are on facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I've seen it. Very, very funny. Maybe you need to hook up with girls like that, that made the video. Seems you would relate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, just remembered that, that doesn't mean what it used to. I meant "...hang out with...". (Smacks forehead!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha well I'm just helping you update your jargon! =D

    ReplyDelete